Although most common in children, chicken pox can also affect adults. We explore various chicken pox home remedies, natural and herbal treatments. Also learn various tips on how to clear it fast as well as when to see a doctor over the symptoms.
Chicken Pox Home Remedies
The virus Varicella-zoster is known to cause chicken pox. It easily spreads from one person to another through mucus, saliva, fluid from the blisters as well as the air. Even before the rashes start appearing, the infected person is contagious two to three days before. They remain infectious until the day when all the blisters dry up.
After exposure to the virus, it will normally take 10 to 21 days for symptoms to appear. These include red spots, blisters and an itchy rash all over the body. In addition to treatment given in the hospitals, these chicken pox home remedies will help in managing the condition.
Honey Home Remedy for Chickenpox
Honey helps to provide relief to the itch that comes with the blistering caused by chicken pox. This home remedy contains natural antibacterial elements that effectively eliminate irritation. This helps in giving a soothing effect. Honey smeared on the scars after healing will also help to clear them up.
- Obtain some pure natural honey and cover up the affected skin with a thin layer of it.
- Let it rest for a while before washing it off.
- Repeat up to three times a day until the marks are gone.
How to Cure Chicken Pox Naturally Using Baking Soda
Another one of the chicken pox home remedies that help to cure it naturally is baking soda. Its paste will help relief irritation and soothe the blisters and rashes. It is also great at controlling itching.
- In a glass of clean water, add three tablespoons of baking soda. Use the solution to sponge the affected areas and leave it to rest until dry.
- You could also add a cup of baking soda in warm bathing water. Soak in the bath for a while to relief symptoms.
How to Soothe Chicken Pox Itching with Oatmeal Bath
Oat meal has for long been used to get rid of itchiness. It is therefore a common home remedy for chickenpox. It helps to relief itch and irritation from the blisters and the rashes. Use it to prepare a bath for the patient.
- Grind some oatmeal into fine powder.
- For every cup of finely ground oat meal put two liters of lukewarm water in your bath tab.
- Soak in it for 20 minutes.
Brown Vinegar Chicken Pox Scar Removal Home Remedy
When brown vinegar is used on chickenpox, it helps to heal the lesions fast as well as relieve irritation. It will also help in preventing the blister and rash marks from developing into scars. The mild acetic acid in it acts as an anti-bacterial.
- In a lukewarm bath, add half a cup of the vinegar and mix it well for even distribution.
- Have this bath daily until the symptoms have been cured.
How to Cure Chicken Pox at Home with Sandalwood Oil
This oil can be beneficial in treating sores from chickenpox. It contains anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties that go a long way in the healing process. It will also help in clearing and fading scars. You can use sandalwood oil directly on your skin or use it with other ingredients for better results.
- To a teaspoon of turmeric add a few drops of sandalwood to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the itching areas and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Wash off the paste with water and be gentle so as not to scab the blisters.
- Pat the area dry and repeat procedure daily.
- You could also add sandalwood to a carrier oil such as olive or almond oil and apply it to the areas of chickenpox rash.
Marigold Flowers Remedy for Chicken Pox
Also known as calendula, marigold flowers are anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. It will get rid of redness and swelling caused by chicken pox rash and blisters. It will also help to stimulate the production of collagen which helps in relieving pain, speeding up healing as well as preventing scarring. It can be mixed with other herbs for a more effective treatment.
- Mix two parts of marigold with one part of witch hazel.
- Add this to water in a cup and let it soak overnight.
- Using the same water they were soaked in, grind the herbs and apply paste on the affected skin.
- Let this dry up on the skin and wash it off gently.
Chicken Pox Home Remedy Food
While discussing chicken pox home remedies the need for proper nutrition needs to be emphasized. There are specific food remedies to help in any illnesses. A carrots and coriander soup is known to be highly beneficial in treating chickenpox. It is full of antioxidants that are quite helpful in the healing process.
- Prepare this soup by chopping up a cup of carrots and a cup of fresh coriander.
- Boil these up in water twice the amount of the ingredients until half of it evaporates.
- Drink up the resulting soup and consume the carrots and coriander as well.
In addition to these, you could try sedative and mild teas such as chamomile, lemon balm and holy basil. These will have a calming effect. Steep a number of cups and sip throughout the day.
Epsom Salt Remedies for Chicken Pox
Epsom salt has mineral compounds such as sulfate and magnesium which help a lot in treating the symptoms of chicken pox. It helps to soothe irritation as well as get rid of itching.
- Use Epsom salt in a bath by adding two cups of the salt in a bath tub full of warm water. Stir the water until all of the remedy dissolves
- Soak in the bath for at least 15 minutes after which you should pat yourself dry. Repeat procedure every day until the skin is healed.
- Another way to use Epsom salt for chicken pox would be to add two cups of it into two liters of water. Use the mixture to sponge the areas with the rashes. This can be repeated as many times as possible.
Chicken Pox Relief Over the Counter Medication
In most cases, the home remedies for chickenpox discussed above will be enough treatment for it. However, there are some medication that can help in reducing the symptoms and hastening treatment.
- Acyclovir is a prescription strength antiviral drug recommended for use by people with a weakened immune system as well as anyone seeking medication within 24 hours after appearance of rashes.
- Antihistamines may also be offered for the itching and swelling to subside. Over the counter pain killers will also help with the pain.
- In case of secondary bacterial infections, antibiotics can help clear it up.
- Calamine lotion also goes a long way in easing the itch. This though should be used with caution as the lotion could accelerate itching in some people.
CAUTION: Do not give aspirin to a person suffering chicken pox as it could lead to a condition known as Reye’s syndrome. Consult a doctor in case of severe symptoms and a high fever.
Chicken Pox Natural Treatment
In case you are looking for chicken pox natural treatment, we have some gathered for you. These include herbal treatments that act as effective chicken pox home remedies. They are easy to acquire and will cost you almost nothing.
Neem Leaves Herbal Medicine for Chicken Pox
Also known as Margosa or Indian Lilac, neem leaves have been a renowned remedy for chicken pox in India. It contains antiviral properties that combat to a significant level the varicella zoster virus. It relieves itch and soothes irritation resulting from the symptomatic rash and blisters. To reap the benefits of neem leaves for chicken pox and dry up the blisters:
- Crush some neem leaves with water to make a paste.
- Apply this on the skin.
- After the blisters and rashes have healed, have a neem bath by soaking in warm water that has neem leaves soaked in it.
Jasmine Flower Remedies for Chicken Pox
This is a remedy mostly used in Thai. Other than using jasmine as a tea, it can be used in a bath to relief itching and soothe irritation.
- Take a handful of jasmine flowers and crash them.
- Mix this with rice water and add the mixture to lukewarm bath water.
- Soak in this for a while.
Ginger Bath Herbal Remedy for Chicken Pox
This herbal remedy for chicken pox will help relieve itching. For instant relief from the symptoms of the disease, have a ginger bath.
- Grind half a cup of ginger and add it to warm water in a bath.
- Soak in the water for half an hour before gently patting yourself dry.
Aloe Vera Chicken Pox Natural Remedies
This has been used in many skin infections. It contains anti-inflammatory elements that will help in soothing the skin. It will also help the scabs heal without getting infected and prevent scars. Smear fresh aloe vera juice on the skin and let it rest a while before washing it off.
How to Cure Chicken Pox Fast in Adults
In case you are wondering what to use on chicken pox to get rid of it instantly for adults who may be suffering chicken pox, it is it is important to take appropriate action immediately. Persons older than 12 years should see a doctor immediately in addition to applying the following means on how to cure chicken pox fast in adults.
- To cool the fever and reduce pain use over the counter medication such as acetaminophen and paracetamol. Use as directed and make sure you follow instructions given.
- Talk to your doctor on whether it would be appropriate for you to take ibuprofen to get rid of the pain fast.
- To cure the scabs and relieve itch quickly, apply calamine lotion on your skin. This will heal the sores fast enough. Other skin cooling gels can also work out the same.
- Take a cool bath to soothe your skin and eliminate itching fast.
When to See a Doctor
In case the recommended remedies above do not work or when other severe symptoms such as dehydration, pneumonia and secondary skin infections strike, you should consult a doctor. Other times when this should apply include:
- A fever that endures longer than four days.
- Trouble breathing
- A severe cough
- When the rash starts oozing pus, is sore, red and swollen
- Severe headache
- Experience difficulty waking up, feel confused and are unusually drowsy
- Frequent vomiting
- A stiff neck
- Difficulty walking
The best way to prevent chicken pox is by having a vaccination. People who are vaccinated do not get infected most of the times and if they do the symptoms are not severe. This way they can be treated using simple chicken pox home remedies and have it clear within no time. In case you are dealing with ways on how to cure chicken pox on infants and toddlers, do not administer any form of treatment at home. Have them checked by the doctor.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?