Chiggers are minuscule organisms that attach themselves to you when you walk in infested areas. They love to inhabit wooded areas and can be found in tall vegetation and grass. They are most active in the summer. Chiggers are capable of being on people’s skin for up to six hours before biting them. The chigger bites are mostly experienced in areas of the body that are thin skinned such as in the armpits, groin, back of the knees and ankles. We get into details on how to get rid of chigger bites fast, various over the counter treatments, home remedies as well as natural solutions for the same.
How to Get Rid Of Chigger Bites
Chiggers generally attach themselves to people as you walk in the backyard or along the lake during your walk as you brush against infested vegetation. Chigger bites are quite powerful despite the fact that they are very tiny bugs. This is followed by endless itching and reddened areas which could be raised or flat. These may resemble blisters or pustules. These will persist for a number of days and the marks may take up to two weeks. Below is how to get rid of chigger bites and its accompanying discomfort.
How to Get Rid of Chigger Bites Fast
When not treated fast enough, bug bites tend to be very uncomfortable. The itching can escalate very fast and cause skin breaking. To avoid this, it is important to employ methods that will work on the bites quickly. Below is how to get rid of chigger bites fast.
Apply Ice to get Rid of Bites From Chiggers Fast
Ice packs are great at relieving itch and are one of the fastest ways to help prevent swelling and itching. They will help in numbing the place thus give relief to the discomfort. Wrap some ice in a muslin bag and apply it on the area. Never do it directly as this could lead to frost bites.
Use Calamine Lotion to Relief Chigger Bites in One Day
For long, calamine lotion has been used as a simple and inexpensive yet effective remedy to relief insect bites. It contains zinc oxide as the active ingredient which helps to get rid of chigger bites itch. It comes with a pleasant smell and will not cause stinging at the point of the bite. Purchase some from the local drugstore and apply it topically on the affected area. This will act as a quick anti-itch remedy.
Vicks VaporRub for Quick Relief from Bites
This contains menthol that has a cooling effect at the point of application. It can be used to relief inflammation and itch resulting from chigger bites. It can also help in getting rid of swellings and prevent blisters from breaking.
- Get some Vicks vapor rub and add some salt to it.
- Apply this remedy on the area immediately you experience the bites.
- Repeat procedure before going to bed to reduce the probability of rashes forming.
- In case you wake up to chigger bite swellings, repeat procedure.
Hair Dryer to Stop Chigger Bites Itching Faster
Get a hand held dryer and have it on a high setting. Blow dry the areas of the bites for a few seconds and wait. As the skin releases, the heat, it should help to ease the itching sensation. This would be especially helpful to relief itching from the bites on legs.
Home Remedies for Chigger Bites
Most of the times, home remedies for chigger bites are all you need to treat the accompanying discomfort at home. Discussed below are various items you can make use of.
Baking soda is alkaline which helps it to restore the pH of the skin. It also has a cooling effect on the skin. Its paste will go a long way in relieving itch from the bites.
- Mix a teaspoon with some clean water until a consistent paste is attained.
- Apply this on the area of chigger bites and allow it sit for 15 minutes.
- You could also make the paste using baking soda and vinegar mixed in equal parts.
Listerine mouthwash contains ingredients that are anti-fungal and anti-itch. Menthol in it has a cooling effect making it a great choice as a remedy for chigger bites. Any other mouth wash containing menthol could work as well.
- Wash up the area affected by bites from the bug and wipe dry.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mouth wash and rub it on the bites.
Tea contains anti-inflammatory elements such as tannic acid. They therefore serve as a great itching suppressant. They also help to control pain caused by the bites as well as reduce inflammation. Use teabags to prevent the bite marks from turning into scars.
- Dip a tea bag in and refrigerate it for a while to cool.
- Place this on the bites and keep repeating to soothe the pustules.
Aspirin comes with anti-inflammatory properties that are great for treating severe chigger bites. It can help prevent itching as well as prevent swelling. The number of tablets used will depend on the extent of the bites.
- Crush some aspirin tables to form a smooth powder.
- Using some water, make a paste out of.
- Apply on the skin and leave it on to dry.
Oat meal can be used to neutralize allergic reactions caused by the bites.
- Set up some cooked oatmeal for use on your skin and wait for it to cool to tolerable levels.
- Rub this on the affected part of the skin.
This is known to relieve chigger bites and help in preventing swelling. It is a fast acting remedy for bug bites which is also easy to use. Below is how to get rid of chigger bites using Epsom salt.
- In a cup of water, dissolve a tablespoon of the salt.
- Apply this at the point of the bites and leave it on.
This not only has a cooling effect but also acts as an antiseptic. This ensures that apart from relieving you from the chigger bites, inflammation is also reduced. By preventing histamine action on the area, swelling is also prevented. Its astringent effects help to get rid of itching as well as eliminate pain.
- Dab some alcohol on the area and leave it on.
- Get a fresh coat of it every now and then till the itching is completely relieved
How to Cure Chigger Bites Naturally
In addition to the fast and home remedies, there also are other solutions. These easy methods on how to cure chigger bites naturally will help in getting rid of the discomfort as well as help prevent the chigger bite marks from turning into scars.
Peppermint Natural Bites Relief
Peppermint helps in relieving pain as well as prevents the bitten area from getting infected. It also increases circulation of blood to the area and drives away pain. Get some peppermint oil and use it to massage the point of the bite on the skin.
Vinegar Relief for Chigger Bites
This antibacterial natural remedy for the bites helps to prevent infection that may arise from scratching. It also controls itching resulting from the bites and inhibits the action of bacteria. Apple cider vinegar has the ability to heal any areas that have broken out after itching and when used on time it will help to prevent swelling on the bites.
- To control the itching, instantly apply some vinegar on the bites.
- Keep doing it until the itching goes away.
Aloe vera is known to have a soothing effect on the skin and its gel gives an instant cooling effect and is one of the options on how to get rid of chigger bites quickly. It will very fast help with the swelling and pain.
- Get some fresh aloe vera leaf and extract its juice using a spoon
- Smear this on the area of the skin with chigger bites and leave it on to dry.
Tea Tree Oil
This remedy is quite appropriate if you are experiencing severe swelling and itching on the area of the bite. When applied on the area of the bites, tea tree oil will help to prevent secondary infections. The oil is however highly potent and should not be used undiluted. In case your skin is too sensitive, you may want to stay away from it.
- Get some tea tree oil and dilute it in an equal amount of water.
- Use it as a rinse on the part of the skin with the bites.
Turmeric Natural Remedy for Chigger Bites
This is said to contain anti-inflammatory properties and is thus perfect for irritated and swollen bites. Use some water to make a paste of it and rub this on the area. Leave it to dry before rinsing it off.
Treatment for Chigger Bites
In most cases, medical treatment for bites from chiggers is not necessary. However, in case you have no access to the natural and home remedies means on how to get rid of chigger bites discussed above, you can settle for over the counter chigger bites treatment.
Corticosteroids can be used on severe bites. Some antihistamines can also help deal with the inflammation and swelling. These are enough to quell the itch and soothe the inflammation. However, in case there is endless scratching and the skin breaks, it is possible to get secondary infections. Visit your doctor for appropriate treatment.
Preventive Measures to Avoid Chigger Bites
In case you live in an area prone to these bugs, try these how to get rid of chigger bites tips:
- Immediately you realize that you have been bitten by chiggers, you should take a hot water bath and use a mild soap. This way the effects of the chigger bites will be reduced.
- Instead of scratching the area, use light slapping strokes to avoid the itch from escalating.
- After getting attacked by chiggers, clean your clothes in hot water to kill any that may be stuck on them.
- Always wear long sleeved shirts and tuck in your pants into socks when venturing in chigger infested areas this will keep you from bites on the legs and hands which tend to be most vulnerable.
- Apply insect repellent before venturing into the woods.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?