Getting dry feet and heels is nobody’s ideal of beauty. Today we will discuss some of the top home remedies for soft feet that can help you feel more comfortable walking around in summer sandals or flip-flops. And with the ever growing popularity of natural remedies, we have also listed several ways in which you can make your feet soft naturally.
Home Remedies to Make Feet Soft
The skin on the feet can get hard and dry as a result of various factors such as exposure to harsh chemicals and soaps, poor foot care regime, nutritional deficiencies, and harsh weather conditions particularly in winter. If that happens, you may use one of the following home remedies to make the feet soft:
Proper Dry and Rough Foot Care
The first step in getting rid of feet dryness is to adopt a daily foot care regime that integrates, cleansing, scrubbing of dead skin cells, and cutting of nails (when necessary):
- Soak your feet in warm, soapy water for 15-20 minutes. This helps to soften the skin and make it easy to scrub off the dead skin cells on your feet.
- Scrub off the dead skin cells on your feet using a pumice stone
- Finally, rinse your feet with clean water and wipe them dry with a towel.
- Cut your nails if necessary. Avoid rounding the edges as this is a common causative factor for ingrown toenail.
- Next, moisturize your feet by applying some lotion or foot cream before putting on a clean pair of socks overnight.
- Repeat this process daily until your feet have softened
Turmeric + Milk Foot Scrub
Some people will vouch to the effectiveness of this homemade scrub remedy in as far as attaining soft feet and hands is concerned.
- To ½ cup of cool milk, add ¼ teaspoon of finely ground turmeric powder.
- Stir properly till well blended and then slather it all over your feet.
- Rinse it off after 10 minutes and pat your feet dry.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of fresh milk with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon of sugar. Apply the mixture all your feet and allow it ten minutes to dry before washing it off with warm water.
Vinegar for Softening Cracked Feet and Hands
A list of home remedies for soft feet would not be complete without listing vinegar in my opinion. Vinegar is rich in acetic acid which aids in the removal of dead skin cells accumulated on the surface of the feet. It also helps to relieve tired and cracked feet.
- GlycerinPour 1 cup of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar into a basin containing a couple cups of water.
- Soak your feet in the water for 10-15 minutes
- Scrub the feet with a pumice to remove the dead skin cells.
- Dry the feet with a towel before applying a moisturizer or petroleum jelly.
Glycerin has a deeply moisturizing action that makes it very effective in getting rid of feet dryness. It is especially good for cracked feet. To use glycerin to make feet soft,
- Mix glycerin and freshly squeezed lemon juice in the ratio of 1:1 e.g.1 teaspoon glycerin to 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture on your feet and allow it to stay on for 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with water.
- Repeat this home remedy once daily for a couple weeks and those rough heels will be a thing of the past.
Epsom salt has great skin healing properties and is one of the best home remedies to make feet soft. It helps to enhance circulation in the feet and facilitate sloughing off of dead, dry skin cells that make your feet look and feel hard. It is also believed to help draw out toxins from the skin.
- Pour ½ cup of Epsom salt into a basin of warm water and stir until all of it dissolves.
- Soak your feet in it for 15 minutes
- Scrub the feet with a pumice stone gently and then re-soak it in the water for further 10 minutes
- Dry your feet with a towel and finish off by moisturizing them with petroleum jelly or any other moisturizer you like
- Repeat once every day for a week or so and you will be a step closer to softer feet.
Natural Home Remedies for Dry Feet and Heels
If you are a fan of natural remedies, we have as well covered you. Below is a list of some of the best and most commonly used natural home remedies for dry feet and heels.
The mild acidic action of lemon juice makes it a great natural at-home soft feet treatment. It helps to soften and remove the dry, dead skin cells accumulated on the skin. To use this natural home remedy, here are a few options you may want to consider:
- Cut a lemon into two halves. Dip one half in sugar and use it to scrub any hard or rough area on your feet and hands in circular motions. Repeat this treatment once daily
- Get freshly squeezed lemon juice and pour it into a basin of warm water. Soak your feet in the solution for 10-15 minutes and then scrub your feet gently with a soft brush before patting them dry with a towel. Finish off by applying a moisturizing lotion or cream. Repeat 2-3 times each week for baby soft feet.
- Mix freshly squeezed lemon juice with some petroleum jelly and then apply the mixture all over clean feet. Repeat twice daily for best results. At night you may want to wear a clean pair of socks to shield your bed sheets.
- Cut a lemon into two halves and then squeeze out its juice. Mix it with 5 tablespoons of sea salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Apply the mixture to your feet and allow it to stay on for 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water. For best results, repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times a week
Foot Massage Remedy for Softening Dry, Tough Feet
Massaging the feet is one of those easy but very effective ways to get soft feet naturally. Massaging the feet helps to boost blood circulation which in turn helps to not only curb dryness but also reduce wrinkles.
Simply massage your feet in circular motions with your fingers while lying down on the sofa – or watching TV – several times each day and you will notice our feet get progressively softer. You may also ask a friend to massage your feet.
Known for its exfoliating and moisturizing action, oatmeal is one of the best natural home remedies for dry feet and heels. You can use oatmeal to make foot scrubs as explained below:
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oatmeal into a small basin followed by a few drops of jojoba oil. Smother the feet with the paste, paying close attention to the heels. Wash the paste off with water after 20 minutes or so and then pat your feet dry with a towel.
- Mix 1 cup of ground oatmeal with 1 cup of flour, 1/4cup of honey, and ¼ cup of olive oil. Mix the ingredients thoroughly to make a paste with fine consistency and then apply it to clean feet. Wash the paste off with warm water after 30 minutes and finish off by moisturizing your feet. Follow these steps twice to thrice a week for softer feet.
Honey for Softening Heels
The natural moisturizing and exfoliating properties of honey may also help to improve dry feet. The antibacterial properties of honey also makes this a great natural remedy for foot odor. Follow the following steps for those supple, soft feet:
- Add 1 cup of honey into a basin of warm water
- Place your feet in it for 20 minutes
- Scrub the feet gently with a pumice stone or soft foot brush to get rid of dead skin cells.
- Repeat once or twice per week for best results.
Rice flour also belong among the best natural remedies for soft feet. To us this soft feet treatment, follow these steps:
- Mix 3 tablespoons of ground rice, 3 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (white vinegar will as well work fine). If the feet are a cracked, you may as well add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Stir the ingredients to make a paste and then apply it to your feet, leaving it on for 15 minutes
- Finish by washing the paste off with warm water
- Repeat this remedy two times each week until your feet become soft and supple.
The rich soothing and moisturizing properties of coconut oil makes it one of the best natural home remedies for dry feet and heels. In addition, it contains antimicrobial and antifungal properties that can help to fight foot odor.
- Start by cleansing your feet with warm, soapy water
- Next, dry your feet well with a towel and then apply generous amount of coconut oil to them.
- Massage the feet gently and then put on a clean pair of cotton socks overnight
- In the morning, take off the socks and rinse your feet with warm water and soap
- Repeat this treatment every day until your feet improves.
Used in the same manner, olive oil also makes a great remedy to get your feet soft.