Earaches can be bothersome and uncomfortable. Simple elements such as the wind can make it worse. When earache is not as a result of severe infection, it is possible to get rid of it at the comfort of your home. We discuss various tips as well as natural and home remedies for earache.
Home Remedies for Earaches or Ear Pain
Most ear infections are as a result of fluid buildup and ear infections. In some cases, the aches could be caused by wax in the ear, increase in air pressure, physical damage, common cold or nasal passage blockage. Earaches in children are more common than in adults. The aches are likely to increase in the winter weather. Fortunately, one does not have to seek medical treatment as there are home remedies for earaches or ear pain. These areas discussed below.
Heat can be used as earache relief. With a microwave, it is possible to make a hot pack which can easily be heated to relief pain. To make a heat pack:Heat Treatment
- Get a clean sock and put in it some rice or popcorn.
- Have the end sealed.
- Heat the pack in short bursts until it is warm
- Use this on the ear
The same results can be achieved by using a hot water bottle. One should be cautious when using the bottle. Ensure that the water is not too hot. When at comfortable temperatures, wrap up the bottle with a towel and take a few minutes to press it on the aching ear.
The antiseptic and antibacterial agents found in onions will work to help treat the earache problem. There are different ways of using onions to relieve ear pain.
- Extract a tablespoon of onion juice and warm it on low heat. Use a dropper to put two or three drops of the juice into the ear. Do this three times in a day.
- Get a crushed onion and wrap it tightly in a clean piece of cloth. Hold this over the ear for up to 15 minutes and repeat this a number of times each day.
- Cut the onion into halves and warm it up. Place it directly on the ear until it cools off.
This has both antibiotic and analgesic properties which can help to reduce earache infection pain. To take advantage of its healing properties:
- Extract some garlic juice from its cloves and put it into the ear that aches.
- Mince some garlic and heat it in sesame oil. Use two portions of the oil for each portion of the garlic. Cool and filter the oil then put three drops into the aching ear.
This is well known for its strong anti-inflammatory properties and also its natural pain relief abilities. These are helpful in treating ear infection pain.
- Grate some fresh ginger root and mix it with olive oil. For one portion of the ginger use two portions of oil. Let the mixture rest for at least five minutes and up to ten minutes. Put two drops of the infused oil into the ear.
- Extract ginger juice and put a few drops into the ear to reduce inflammation and relief from ear aches and sore throat.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used to cure a lot of illnesses. It works great on earaches since it possesses antiseptic properties. It is well known for its healing effects on swimmers ear. This helps to prevent further growth of bacteria.
- Put in a few drops of apple cider vinegar into the ear at the onset of the earache. This can be done after every 12 hours.
- Apple cider vinegar can also be used with other home remedies to increase the pain relief effect.
This is a popular remedy for earache. It kills bacteria and is therefore perfect for earaches resulting from ear infections. To make use of hydrogen peroxide for earache do the following:
- Tilt the head so that the ear that is getting treated faces the ceiling.
- Use a dropper to put some hydrogen peroxide into the ear. In the absence of a dropper, a clean piece of cloth could also work. Soak it in the hydrogen peroxide and use it to put in a few drops.
- Wait until the bubbling is over before turning the head so the remainder gets off.
- This process will not only kill bacteria but also dislodge debris. Use a bulb aspirator to get rid of accumulated debris.
During dry weather, the airway gets affected in a number of ways. This could also affect the ears as they are interconnected. To open up and relax the airways, steam can be used. It will help to relieve the pressure and thus reduce the pain.
- Bring some water to boil and put it in a bowl. You could add some essential oil to it.
- Cover your head using a towel so that a tent is formed.
- While in that position, inhale the steam and take care not to get burned by the hot water.
- The bowl steam inhalation is most appropriate for relieving earache in adults. To attain the same effect in children, turn on the hot shower and allow the bathroom to get filled by the steam. Let the children sit in for steam inhalation.
Natural Remedies for Earache
Treating ear aches naturally makes use of readily available materials. This makes it affordable for many people. It also ensures that one can take care of the ache before seeking medical attention. There are different natural remedies for earache. Below we discuss some of the products used in treating earaches naturally.
Peppermint is easy to use and an important home remedy for many ailments. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agent. These help to soothe pain and it is therefore a great ingredient for earache pain relief remedies.
- Extract some juice from peppermint leaves and use a dropper to put two drops into the aching ear.
- Get some peppermint oil and dilute it using olive oil. Use five drops of olive oil for each drop of peppermint oil. Soak a cotton swab and apply some of the oil around the opening of the ear.
It is important to be cautious when using peppermint oil as some people are sensitive to it. When used undiluted, it could cause irritation. Always dilute it before use.
This is also known as Ajwain. It contains antimicrobial and antiseptic properties which help it in dealing with the causes of earache.
- Heat two teaspoons of mustard oil or sesame oil. Add half a teaspoon of Bishop’s weed and heat the mixture. Leave it to cool and filter it up. Put a few drops into the ear.
- Another way to make use of this remedy would be to pick half a teaspoon seeds of the weed and boil them in a cup of milk. Boil the two to such a point that the seeds essence can be felt. Stain the remedy and use it as ear drops. This will ease any congestion as well as relief ear pain.
- Pour two or three drops of bishop’s oil into the affected ear. This can be done any time there is an earache.
Warm a few drops of olive oil and let it rest until it cools to lukewarm levels.Olive oil is a lubricant. It helps reduce pain and also gets rid of any buzzing sensation in the ear. The oil can be used as a standalone remedy or together with other remedies. It is an important product when essential oils are being used as it can act as the carrier oil or for the purposes of diluting them.
- Use a dropper to put two or three drops of the oil into the ear. A cotton ball can also be used to accomplish the same.
- Repeat the process as need be.
Mullein Flower Oil
Where the cause of earache is ear infection, mullein flower oil will go a long way in relieving it.
- Put a few drops of the oil into a bowl
- Dip a cotton ball into it and place it in the aching ear
- Take it off after a few minutes
- Repeat when pain recurs.
This root vegetable reduces ear pain by clearing up inflammation as well as other symptoms that could be causing earache. It also clears wax buildup.
- Chop a fresh root into tiny pieces
- Put these into some mustard oil and warm the mixture
- Strain this into a glass container and use a few drops on the infected ear.
- Do this regularly until results are attained.
This herb lowers the level of inflammation in your ear. It reduces the level of discomfort cause by the earache.
- Slightly warm some licorice in clarified butter. This should give a thick paste.
- Apply the paste around the aching ear.
Honey possesses great qualities that help it get rid of ear pain. It can be used alone or with other home remedies for ear pain such as vinegar. Honey helps to get rid of inflammation which could be the cause of the pain. Put a few drops into the ear once per day and wait for it to take effect.
These contain antibiotic properties that help in curing earache.
- Crush a few basil leaves to extract its juice.
- Strain and use a dropper to apply two drops of the juice in the affected ear.
It is important to be cautious when dealing with ear pain. It is also important to know the dangers of earaches so as to be in a position to seek medical attention when necessary. Where the earache is accompanied by some drainage, it is important to see a doctor immediately. This could be caused by perforation of the eardrum which if left untreated could cause hearing problems. Where after long use of the home remedies the situation does not seem to improve, seek medical attention.
Tips on How to Reduce Earache Naturally
Other than the natural and home remedies for earache discussed above, there are other day to day activities that can help in reducing earache pain. These include:
- To get temporary relief from ear ache, swallow food frequently.
- Since earaches and sore throat mostly occur concurrently, protect yourself from ear and throat infections.
- After taking a shower, leave the ears moist. Use a blow-dryer in its low settings to dry up the moisture. This though should not be done for more than five minutes. It should help to relieve the pain.
- In case you spend time in the outdoors while having an earache, wear something that shields your ears from the wind. A scarf or cotton balls can help.
- To activate the muscles while flying and equalize the changing pressure while landing, chew gum. This will make the event less painful for the ears.
- Avoid swimming when you are suffering from earache pain. Where you have to swim, coat your ears with a mineral oil beforehand.
- To treat child ear ache, avoid administering antibiotics as this could lead to other health problems. Instead try the home remedies for earache that are safe for children and if the problem persists see a doctor.
- Households with smokers tend to experience more ear problems. To prevent yourself from further ear pain, quit smoking.
- Some food allergies could cause chronic ear infections which in the end cause ear ache. To avoid this, found out what allergens you have and eliminate them.
- Always keep your ears clean and dry.
- Eardrops are not to be used inside the ears of a child who is experiencing eardrum perforation. One can tell this if the child earache is accompanied by extreme pain, if there is some ear drainage. These are also not to be used on children with ear tubes.
- It is always important to be careful when using essential oils on children. Use it with caution as sthey could touch and rub it on the eyes which could cause irritation.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?