Suffering from repulsive body odor can be socially limiting. This is irrespective of where it emanates from. Where the cause of the odor is not poor hygiene, it is possible to employ home remedies for body odor to get rid of it. These have to be used consistently until desired results are achieved. There also are some lifestyle changes that can help to treat the odor as discussed in this post.
Body odor occurs when the presence of body fluids creates a conducive environment for bacteria breeding. The bacteria multiply fast and break down keratin proteins found on the skin resulting in the unpleasant odor. The process is aggravated when there is heat, when one exercises or is involved in other physical activities. Although most people only think of body odor as the odor emitted from the armpits, there are different types of body odor. These include foot odor, mouth odor which results in bad breath and puberty odor.
Home Remedies for Body Odor
Use these proven home remedies for body odor will help to fight these repulsive odors and restore normal body scents.
Baking soda helps to absorb excess moisture from the skin. By absorbing sweat, it helps to reduce the chances of having body odor. It also kills bacteria and is known to be a natural deodorant.
- Mix some lemon juice with baking soda
- Apply this on areas where you sweat excessively and leave it on for a few minutes before washing it off with water. Repeat procedure each day.
- You could also mix baking soda with some cornstarch. Apply this directly under your arms to protect against body odor.
Vinegar to Eliminate Body Odor
Apple cider vinegar helps to lower the body’s pH making it unfavorable for growth of bacteria. It also is a natural antiseptic and will kill bacteria found on the surface of the skin. According to veg.kitchen.com, getting rid of excessive body odor is one of the research backed benefits of apple cider vinegar. The remedy is not only a way of eliminating but also one on how to prevent body odor.
- To get rid of armpit body odor, spritz some apple cider vinegar on your underarms.
- You could also soak a cotton ball in the vinegar and rub it on the underarms a few minutes before taking a shower.
- To get even more benefits from it, add a cup of apple cider vinegar to warm bath water. Soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Where you are experiencing foot odor, soak your feet in vinegar solution for 10 minutes.
The rosemary plant has the ability to inhibit the growth of bacteria responsible for body odor. It contains chlorophyll and menthol which give it the properties of a natural deodorant. It neutralizes body odor and gives you a nice fragrance. Taken as a tea, it contains zinc which is important in avoiding body odor.
- Get four cups of hot water and add to it half a cup of dry rosemary leaves. Let this steep for 10 minutes. Add this to your bath water and soak for 30 minutes. Repeat procedure each day.
- You could also make use of rosemary essential oil. Mix ten drops of it in an ounce of water and use it on your underarms.
- Discontinue using if you suspect irritation on your skin.
Witch Hazel for Underarm Odor Treatment
Witch hazel is yet another one of the natural remedies body odor treatments. It can as well help to lower pH on the skin and thus reduce the breeding rate of odor causing bacteria. It also has astringent properties that help to constrict the pores thus reducing sweating.
- Get some cotton ball and soak it in witch hazel.
- Dab this on the underarms for it to work as an antiperspirant.
Lemon juice is acidic in nature and is a great treatment for body odor. It helps to lower the pH level of the skin. This makes it unfavorable for the survival of bacteria.
- Get a fresh lemon and cut it into halves. Rub each half on each side of the armpit. Leave the juice on for some time and once it dries up take a shower. Repeat this each day.
- In case your skin is sensitive, dilute the lemon juice from a whole lemon with a cup of water and use a cotton ball to apply it on the underarms. Leave it to dry before taking a shower.
Turnip juice contains antibacterial properties and can suffice as a natural deodorant. It can offer protection against body odor for up to 10 hours. Below is how to eliminate body odorusing it.
- Clean a turnip and have it grated. Extract its juice from the grated pieces. You could also have it blended.
- Rub the acquired juice on the armpits or groin area and leave it to dry.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- The procedure is best carried out in the morning.
This is known for its varied medicinal capabilities. Its leaves and stems contain chlorophyll which helps to fight the bacteria that causes body odor.
- Add the sprouts of alfafa in boiling water and give it some time to cool.
- Consume the liquid for an inside out approach towards elimination of body odor.
By using antibacterial soap, the amount of bacteria count on the skin is reduced. This in turn reduces body odor. There are soaps that are approved by health boards as being effective anti-bacterial soaps. Get these and use them daily in taking your showers.
Applying antiperspirant before going to bed gives the product time to work on the body better when you sleep and are not active thus not sweating. This is as opposed to using it in the morning when sweat accumulates very fast and could wash it off. Antiperspirants used this way will help to reduce sweating and are a fast remedy for underarm odor.
A solution of hydrogen peroxide and water help to fight body odor. Mix a teaspoon of three percent with a cup of water. Wipe the place with an odor with a piece of cloth soaked in the solution. This can be used on the feet, underarm and groin area.
Natural Remedies for Body Odor
While some body odors are produced for a specific purpose, most body odors are as a result of the general by-products of our metabolism. This makes there to be some repulsive body odors and some that are easy to get away with. Bad body odor can be nauseating and could cost affected persons their esteem. To get rid of this, you can make use of natural remedies for body odor. These will inhibit the growth of bacteria while others will help to contract the pores and reduce sweating thus enabling you get rid of repulsive odors.
Tomatoes are antiseptic in nature and will kill body odor causing bacteria. They also have the ability to shrink the skin pores thus reduce sweating.
- Crush a reasonable amount of tomatoes. This could be between five to eight tomatoes.
- Press the crashed tomatoes against a sieve to extract the juice. Blending could also work instead of crashing.
- Add a cupful of the fresh tomato juice into your bath water and use it to bath.
- Repeat procedure each day.
Sage to Prevent and Reduce Body Odor
Sage is a fragrant herb that has antiseptic properties which helps to prevent bacteria from thriving. It helps to reduce body odor by minimizing the size of sweat glands.
- Get dried sage and add two tablespoons of it to four cups of hot water. Let this steep for at least ten minutes and when cool use it to rinse your underarms. You can do this two times each day.
- Sage can be used as a homemade natural deodorant. Mix five drops of sage oil, lavender oil, coriander oil each and two ounces witch hazel in a spray bottle. Use this daily as a deodorant.
Sage tea could also help in relieving body odor. Add a teaspoon of dried up sage into a cup of water, let it stand for ten minutes before straining and taking the tea. Keep the tea to at most two cups each day. Expectant and nursing mums should not use sage.
This has many curative powers and is one of the ways on how to prevent body odor from plaguing your body. It contains chlorophyll which has deodorizing effects. It also helps to fight body odor from within by eliminating toxins.
- Wash some wheat grass and extract juice from it.
- To a glass of water, add a tablespoon of the juice and take it in the morning on an empty stomach.
Parsley is a diuretic and contains zinc which helps to kill bacteria found on the surface of the skin which is responsible for body odor.
- Prepare parsley tea and take a cup each day. This can be prepared using its leaves or powder form.
- You could also use some parsley tablets to fight body odor.
- Intake of parsley should not before a long period as it could cause kidney stones.
Tips on How to Prevent Body Odor
Apart from the above discussed natural and home remedies for body odor, there also are other lifestyle changes that can help to reduce body odor. These include the simple things discussed below.
Keeping yourself clean will help to wash off sweat and reduce amount of bacteria on the skin. This will help to prevent the proliferation of bacteria which would cause bad odor. When taking a bath, pay more attention to troublesome areas. To avoid stinky feet, keep them clean and dry. The same applies for the armpits.
Cutting down on offensive drinks and foods can also help prevent bad odor. Foods with spices such as hot pepper tend to make you sweat more. This could contribute to more body odor. The scent of foods such as garlic and onions can be carried in sweat as well. Alcohol and caffeine could lead to body odor as well. To keep it away, keep off these foods. Fatty foods, processed foods consumption should also be minimal. Red meat is also hard to digest and should not be taken regularly.
Toweling Off Thoroughly
After taking a shower, it is important to dry yourself up thoroughly. This ensures that all areas are dry. A dry skin becomes hard for bacteria to breed thus minimizing the possibility of developing body odor.
Cleaning up clothes especially workout clothes can help protect body odor. Sweaty clothes from gyms make for a perfect breeding ground for bacteria causing body odor. Also ensure you wear appropriate shoes. One pair should not be worn for too long. Avoid putting on very tight clothes and shoes to give enough room for the body to prevent trapping sweat. Where possible, opt for cotton as opposed to synthetic fiber clothes.
The presence of hair on the armpits and the groin areas increases sweating and moisture retention. This offers a favorable ground for bacteria breeding. To keep away body odor, shave or trim your pubic and underarm hair.
Consumption of water helps to flash out toxins and waste from the body. This ensures that they are not released into the blood stream leading to body odor.
At times, nervousness and anxiety result in excessive sweating which in turn leads to body odor. Where this is the case, it is important to deal with the primary cause. Alleviate the tension by engaging in relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, aroma therapy, acupressure or massage.
Where your body odor may be indicating a problem from within, try detoxification and see if it goes away. Check out what cleansing routines may be appropriate for you and apply them. This may involve consumption of detox foods, water detox or even infrared sauna sessions. These will help to get rid of impurities and avoid bad body odor.