Age spots are not a serious health concern, but they are attractive and pesky and can also betray your advanced age. Luckily there are many home remedies for age spots that you can use to lighten the skin and make them vanish or less noticeable.
Also referred to as liver spots or sun spots, age spots are usually the result of increased production of melanocytes, the cells responsible for the production of melanin in the skin. The increased levels of melanin in the skin causes the dark spots.
Although age spots tend to appear more on the back of hands, shoulders and arms, they may as well appear on any other part of the skin that gets frequent exposure to the sun including the legs, face, back, and chest.
Home Remedies for Age Spots
Ageing, sun exposure, and genetics are the main causative factors for age spots but others factors such as liver ailments, vitamin deficiencies, stress and pregnancy may as well be to blame. Below are some of the best home remedies for age spots that you can use to combat this common old age problem:
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is truly a magical home ingredient with beneficial use for a whole lot of health condition ranging from oily skin to spider veins and razor bumps among others. It can also help to reduce the appearance of age spots.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with water in the ratio of 1:1 e.g. ½ cup water to ½ cup apple cider vinegar. Apply the resulting solution to the affected area of skin and leave it on for 5-10 minutes, then rinse it off with water. Repeat the process once daily and those age spots that bother you will soon be a thing of the past.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of lemon or orange juice. Dab the solution on the age spot-affected areas of skin. Allow enough time for the solution to dry into the skin, then rinse it off with cool water. Repeat the process a couple time daily for best results.
Buttermilk for Age Spots on Face
The lactic acid in butter milk has been shown to aid in the exfoliation of the skin which may then help to get rid of age spots and skin blemishes. Couple that with the moisturizing effect of buttermilk and you have the making of one of the best home remedies for age spots.
- With a clean cotton ball, dab some butter milk on the age spots. Allow it to work for 5-10 minutes before washing it off with water. If you have acne-inflicted or oily skin, consider mixing the butter milk with a little lemon juice before use. Repeat the process 1-2 times daily until you have achieved the desired results.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of buttermilk into a cup followed by 2 teaspoons of tomato juice. Stir the two thoroughly till well blended and then slather the paste on the area of skin where age spots appear. Repeat 1-2 times daily.
The skin regeneration and antiseptic properties of sandalwood makes it one of the best anti-ageing home remedies. It can also help to get rid of age spots when applied topically as follows:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of powdered sandalwood with, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of rose water and 1 teaspoon of glycerin. Mix the ingredients thoroughly to make a finely blended paste. Apply the paste on the age spots and allow it time to dry before washing it off with water. Repeat this remedy 3 times a week until the skin has cleared.
- To 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Pop two vitamin E capsules and add their content into the mixture. Stir thoroughly until well blended and then apply it on the age spots. Rinse it off after 30 minutes. Repeat 3 times a week for best results.
- You can also get an overnight age spot treatment by applying a generous amount of 1 teaspoon sandalwood and 1 tablespoon almond oil mixture to the skin before going to bed. Wash it off in the morning with warm water.
The mild bleaching action of yoghurt makes it one of the best home remedies for age spots. It also has the added advantage of leaving the skin hydrated and soft.
- Scoop a generous amount of yoghurt and slather it all over the age spots affected areas of skin.
- Rinse it off with cool water after 20 minutes.
- Repeat 1 to 2 times every day until those brown spots have disappeared.
Some people have reported better results using this remedy overnight and you may as well want to consider that. Just don’t forget to use an old towel to protect your bedsheets.
Alternatively, you may use the face pack explained below to get rid of age spots:
- In a small basin or a cup, mix 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of ground oatmeal.
- Mix the ingredients to prepare a paste with fine consistency and then apply it on the age spots.
- Allow it to sit on for 20-30 minutes before rinsing the area with cool water. Finish by applying a moisturizer.
- Repeat this process 3 times a week until the age spots have cleared.
Castor Oil for Removing Age Spots on Legs, Arms
The skin healing properties of castor oil makes it an effective at-home age spot removaloption. To use castor oil for age spots treatment, follow the following procedure:
- Soak a cotton ball with castor oil and then dab it all over the age spot-affected areas of skin
- Massage the area gently for 3-5 minutes and then leave the castor oil to work its magic into your skin for 1-2 hours before washing it off with warm water
- Follow the process 1-2 times daily for best results.
Hydrogen peroxide also ranks among the most effective home remedies for age spots thanks to its bleaching action. It is especially great for treatment of small age spots.
Simply dab some 30% hydrogen peroxide preparation to the age spots with a clean cotton swab once every day until you attain the desired results. Because hydrogen peroxide has a drying effect on the sin, it is advisable to finish off by moisturizing your skin with a good moisturizing lotion or cream.
Natural Remedies for Age Spots
If you have a soft spot (pun intended :)) for natural treatments, then there are many natural remedies for age spots that you may want to consider, including:
The same skin healing properties of aloe vera that makes it such an amazing home remedy for sunburns can also be capitalized on to get rid of age spots.
To remove age spots with aloe vera, simply snip a fresh aloe vera leaf and squeeze its juice out onto the affected area of skin. Allow it to work for 30 minutes or so and then rinse it off with water. Repeat the process 2-3 times daily until those annoying age spots have cleared. This usually takes about a month.
If you don’t have access to an aloe vera plant, you may as well use an over-the-counter aloe vera gel.
Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Age Spots Naturally
Lemon juice is known for its mild leaching properties that makes it useful for a whole lots of home uses ranging from skin lightening to hair dying. What you probably didn’t know is that lemon juice can also help to get rid of age spots. It also has the added advantage of leaving your skin clear, soft, and healthy-looking.
Dr. Oz. also claims that lemon juice can help you look younger.
- Cut a fresh lemon into two halves and squeeze out its juice
- Apply the juice on the age spots affected areas of the skin.
- Rinse it off with water 30 minutes down the line.
- Repeat this treatment once daily until those pesky age spots have cleared.
If your skin is the sensitive kind, consider diluting dilute lemon juice with water in the ratio of 1:1 before using it. Mixing it with rose water or honey also does the trick.
You can also use lemon juice as a facial scrub as explained below:
- To freshly prepared lemon juice, add enough sugar to make a paste that is thick enough, yet easy to work with.
- Apply the paste as a scrub on your face, making sure to cover all the age spots visible on your skin. You may also add a little olive oil for an even more powerful skin healing action.
- Allow the paste to stay on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with water
- Repeat this natural remedy 2-3 times a week.
For age spots on hand, Dr. Oz. recommends preparing a lemon juice-licorice-sugar scrub by mixing freshly squeezed juice of ½ a lemon, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 2 drops of Licorice Root Extract. Apply the mixture to your hands two times a week and those age spots will be treated very soon.
The enzymes and alpha hydroxyl acids in papaya have been found to be beneficial to age spots. Their exfoliation properties may also help to reduce acne and blemishes from the skin. Papaya also has the added benefit of leaving the skin cleansed and brighter-looking. Here is how to get rid of age spots naturally with papaya:
- Grate a small piece of peeled papaya fruit.
- Apply the paste on the age spots. It is advisable to do a patch test first just in case you are one of the people who are allergic to papaya.
- Allow it to work for 20 minutes or so, then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat the process twice daily until the age spots have vanished.
Onion Juice for Treating Age Spots
The mild bleaching properties of onion juice makes it one of the best natural remedies for age spots. To use onion juice for age spots treatment:
- Cut a bulb of onion into thin slices and then rub them over the age spots afflicted area of your skin. Use this remedy two to three times a day for the best results. Because of the strong smell of onion, you will want to avoid getting so close to the eyes if applying onion juice on face
- Alternatively, get a tablespoon of lemon juice and mix it with 2 tablespoons of honey. Stir the mixture thoroughly till well blended and then apply it to the area of skin where age spots have shown up. Clean the area thoroughly after 15 minutes to get rid of the strong onion smell. Repeat this age spots treatment twice daily until your skin gets clear.
Herbal Remedies for Age Spots Removal
The skin lightening action of horseradish makes it rank top among herbal remedies for age spots removal. In addition to fighting age spots, horseradish may also help to improve freckles when applied topically to the skin as follows:
- Grate a piece of horseradish and apply the paste directly on the age-spot affected areas of skin. Wash it off after 15-20 minutes. Repeat 3 times a week until you have attained the desired results.
- Alternatively, grate a small piece of horseradish (about one-quarter inches) and then pour in ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar. Leave the mixture alone for a couple weeks. Strain the resulting solution and then dab it on the age spot affected areas of skin 3 times every day for about one month and those age spots will fade away.
These home remedies for age spots will help you to restore that flawless, glowing, and healthy-looking skin that is the hallmark of beauty. You will however want to be patient as continuous usage is usually required for noticeable results.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?