Whether you like to grow a beard, or you prefer a close-shave, all men need to choose between an electric shaver and a traditional razor.
They both come with advantages and drawbacks, but what should matter in the end is the result you expect to achieve.
The purpose of this article is to shed light on the major differences between these two popular grooming products.
Pros and Cons of Electric Shavers
Electric shavers are considered by most men a true enhancement in the way of dealing with facial hair.
There are various types available on the market, so it is easy to choose the one that matches your skin and the thickness of the beard.
Though it may take some time to get used to the new shaving technique, the advantages are outstanding. At the same time, it is always important to acknowledge the drawbacks.
- you need less time to shave – they are powered by a motor, and this makes them really fast;
- they are perfectly safe – the sharp blades do not get in direct contact with the face so you can forget about cuts and nicks;
- you can forget about additional costs, like shaving cream or gel, and in some cases even about aftershave;
- though they seem to be more expensive than traditional razors, in fact, these devices are designed to last (up to 10 years);
- they have a versatile design, and can be used to sculpt your mustache and chin hair, or simply as trimmers;
- they occupy less space in your suitcase when you travel.
- because the blades do not touch the skin, it is impossible to achieve a perfect close-shave;
- you need to clean them carefully after each shave;
- according to the brand you choose, the noise level can be lower or higher;
- if they run on batteries and are not charged properly, they can run down, thus interrupt your shaving;
- if you have sensitive skin you can end up with razor burns;
not all designs can be used in the shower.
Pros and Cons of Razors
For many men, razors represent the definition of shaving. These are the products used by their fathers, and this is why they turn out to be familiar utensils.
With all these technological improvements, it is important to analyze this traditional, yet still popular approach.
- you can achieve the perfect clear-shave;
- they are easy to use;
- they do not need special care;
- on a short term, they are cost-effective;
- all models can be used in the shower;
- they are completely silent.
- there are constant additional costs included, for shaving foam and lotions;
- with one bad move, you can cut yourself;
- they can irritate the skin, as they require multiple strokes to achieve smoothness;
- you need to replace the razor quite often, as the blades get blunt pretty easy;
- on the long term, they can turn out to be expensive;
- you will spend more time shaving;
- they are messier, as they involve water and foam or gel.
After comparing the advantages and drawbacks of the two products, it can be said that electric shavers are an enhanced version of the traditional razors.
They managed to overcome the cons of the razors, as they guarantee a clean and accurate shave in optimum time. However, it is up to you to choose the appropriate product for you, and you can use the analogy presented in this article.